Friday, July 13, 2012

A Fitting Tribute

Today Marks What Would Have Been My Son's Birthday. Not Only That, It Lands On Friday. Yes That's Right, Bobby Really Enjoyed It When His Birthday Landed On Friday The 13th. To Add More Flavor To It Today Would Have Been His 31st Birthday. 31 Turned Around Equals 13. The Final Loop To Wild And Crazy Days And Numbers.
This My Friends Brings Us To Focus On The Final Chapter. It Has Been Written And I Must Accept It. Life Moves Quickly As We All Realized On That Early December Morning. Even Though Many Of Us Have Been In Mourning For So Long The Time Has Arrived For Us To Focus On The Future. I Ask My Readers To Say A Small Prayer For Bobby's Rose Of Sharon. I Planted It One Year Ago Today. What Would Have Been His 30th Birthday. I Planted It With Love And Care. Good Rich Soil To Ensure A Healthy Growth. Only The Best For This Special Planting. It Blossomed All Summer Long. Every Time I Looked At It A New Flower Would Seem To Appear. Last Winter Was One Of The Warmest In Record Keeping. I Considered It Refreshing To Finally Have A Winter We Could Actually Enjoy In Illinois. I Did Make The Comment We May Have To Pay For It Somewhere Down The Road. Unfortunately I Was Right With Record High Temperatures As Well As Extreme Drought In Two Thirds Of The Country. It Has Been More Than Three Weeks Since I Last Mowed The Grass. The Grass Is Brown As It Looks In The Winter Months. I Like The Vacation From Mowing But Not At The Expense Of What The Lack Of Water Is Doing For The Corn Crop. Long Story Short, The Rose Of Sharon Is In Danger. I'm Not Sure When Spring Arrived In Illinois. Mother Nature Had Fooled Us On Many Occasions And I Was Not Going To Be Fooled For Another Season. Yet I Was, And Everything Began To Bloom Weeks Earlier Than Usual. As I Mowed The Grass Each Week And Seen The Rose Of Sharon With No Leaves I Became Worried. Still No Leaves And No Sign Of Life. Finally In The Month Of May A Small Sign Of Life. A Tiny Leaf Yet Still Only A Bud. I Purchased Some Plant Food To Help It Along. It Barely Clings To Life. I Was Talking To A Friend Of Mine And She Told Me I Should Put Manure On It. At That Moment Bells And Sirens Began Going Off In My Head. Years Ago When Bobby And I Spent More Than An Hour In The Woods In Search Of Mushrooms We Finally Decided None Were To Be Found. On Our Walk Back To The Truck We Had To Cross This Cow Pasture. To Both Of Our Surprise As The Sun Shined Down On The Most Beautiful 8-10 Inch Mushrooms, We Were Over Joyed. It Gave Us A Story To Tell About Our Special Hunt. Certainly I Can Go To The Farm Store And Buy It By The Bag, But Why Should I When I Can Get The Real Thing? The Real Thing From That Special Pasture That Brought Us The Best Of Luck In Our Journey Of Mushroom Hunting. At This Point I Have Nothing To Lose And I Have All The Confidence In The World That This Will Hold The Answer. Why Didn't I Think Of This Before?
I Have Sought Closure Of Some Kind So I Could Move On. I Cannot Continue Living In The Past When I Have The Entire Future In Front Of Me. Those Around Me That Have Been Hurt By This Tragic Death Have Sadness In Their Hearts. Yet They Have Been Able To Move On And Not Live In The Memory Of Times Past. The Time Has Arrived For Me To Move On. It's Like Reading A Great Book. It Has A Beginning. It's Content Holds Thrilling Moments. Yet As Each Book You Read It Has An Ending. I'm Not Throwing This Book Away. I Am Simply Putting It On A Shelf For Safe Keeping. Every Once In Awhile In My Weakest Moments I Can Read It Again To Give Me Comfort.
Life Seemed To Stop For Me That Day. A Void I Cannot Fill. Sorrow Follows Me Each And Every Day. Life Though Is For The Living. I Must For The Sake Of Others And Myself Focus On What We Have In Front Of Us. We Don't Know What Tomorrow Holds For Us. Today Is The Memory For Tomorrow. If Not For Myself I Would Like To Create Many Memories For Those Around Me. One Day They Will Be Looking Back Searching For Memories Of Yesterday. It Is My Hopes They Will Find Many Pleasant Ones That Will Bring A Smile To Their Face.
I Have 57 Years Of Memory. It All Began When I First Heard My Mothers Voice. All The Familiar Things That Followed Throughout The Years. Years On Top Of Years Of Memories. Memories Of My Loved Ones Long Departed. Still Only A Memory. If There Is A Lesson To Be Learned Here, Let It Be To Live Life To The Fullest And Leave As Many Memories Behind For Those Who Would Enjoy Them Later Down The Road. What You Do Today Is For Someone Years Later. Life Has Many Turns And Twist To It. I Would Like To Think I Left A Very Good Memory For Somebody.

No comments:

Post a Comment