Sunday, May 15, 2011

They Don't Get Any Better Than This


His Name Is Starlin Castro. You May Not Have Heard Of Him, But You Will. Even Though You May Not Be A Sports Fan, You Will Eventually Hear His Name. He Happens To Be The Chicago Cubs New Shortstop. He Played The Latter Part Of Last Season, Coming Up From Triple A Farm Team. I Cannot Remember The Last Time I Was This Excited About A New Cub Player. He Reminds Me Of A Cross Between Shawon Dunston And Tony Gwynn. If You Know Anything About Baseball You Would Know These Two Names As Well. Shawon Dunston Came To The Cubs In The Early To Mid 80's. Also A Shortstop He Was Considered A Scrappy Player Who Was Not Afraid To Get Down And Dirty. His Plate Appearances Were Fun To Watch. He Was Known For Swinging At The Low Pitches. In Defense, He Would Field The Ball Gracefully Then Fire That Ball To First Base Faster Than I Ever Saw It Done. I Can Remember Mark Grace Being The First Baseman. He Joked One Day About Applying More Padding To His Glove Because Of The Hard Throws From Dunston.
Tony Gwynn However Was Best Known For His Plate Performances. Make Contact. His On Base Percentage Was Impressive. Put The Ball Into Play. Move That Base Runner Along. He Didn't Worry About The Long Ball Because He Would Not Be Remembered For That. He Would Be Remembered For His Hits And On Base Percentage.
Now To Starlin Castro. Remember This Name, Because I Have A Feeling One Day Years From Now Baseball Lovers From Across The Globe Will Remember Him As The Youngest Ball Player To Play In The Major League. It's My Opinion He Will Be Known As One Of The Greatest Hitters Baseball Will Ever See. I Make This Prediction Not Because He Is A Chicago Cub, But That As A Baseball Fan. I Know Baseball Talent When I See It. If This Young Man Stays Healthy He Will Be Declared One Of The Best If Not THE Best In Baseball History. Yes I Know There Are People Who Feel This May Be Premature In Predicting Such A Fabulous Career. Write This Down In Your Calendar Folks. Starlin Castro May Some Day Be A Household Name Like Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle Or Pete Rose.
He's Fun To Watch And Even If I Were Not A Cub Fan I Would Watch Him As Much As I Could No Matter What Team He Played For.
He May Not Go Down In History As The Best Shortstop In Baseball History. I Believe He Will Go Down In History As One Of The Best Baseball Players That Ever Lived.
Good Luck Starlin, You Will Go Far.

1 comment:

  1. I agree....Starlin will go down in history as one of the greatest offensive players, just as Sandy Koufax is considered one of the best pitchers in major league history.

    ReplyDelete