Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Brenda's Mum


Last Summer I Attended The Woodard Reunion With My Son Bobby. When I Asked Him If He Wanted To Go He Said Turn Down A Free Meal? He Enjoyed Going With Me. During The Business Meeting My Parents And Siblings Were Presented With A Mum In Memory Of Our Sister, Brenda Who Passed Away On July 4th. It Was A Touching Moment.
A Couple Days Later Bobby Planted The Mum In The Front Yard. I Told Him Rarely Does A Mum Survive That Are Planted In The Fall. Mums Are Suppose To Be Planted In The Spring. People See Them In The Store, All Beautiful And Hearty. They Are One Of The Last Plants To Die By Winters Wrath. Mums Are Planted In The Early Spring So They Can Take Root And Become A Permanent Plant In The Ground. Planting Them In The Fall Doesn't Allow Them To Root Before The Ground Freezes, Thus Killing The Plant. Bobby Placed A Memory Stone Of Brenda Into The Ground Beside The Plant.
Bobby Was No Longer With Us To See The Results Of His Planting. Come Springtime The Plant Appeared Dead And Broke Off At The Ground Level When I Inspected It. I Told Billie And We Were Saddened The Flowers Didn't Survive The Winter.
A Couple Weeks Later I Was Mowing The Front Yard. I Saw A Little Life In The Area Where The Mum Was At. I Have Allowed It To Come Up And I Am Hoping For Blooms, Representing Life. I Will Cherish This Mum And Nurture It So It Will Remind Me Of My Sister. It Is My Hopes I Will Be Presented With Another Mum In Memory Of Bobby. I Will Plant It Next To Brenda With A Memory Stone From Bobby's Funeral. I Pray It Will Survive Next Winter So It Will Grow Beside Each Other From Now On.
If I Don't Receive One At The Reunion I Will Purchase One From The Store. Either Way I Get Enjoyment With Having A Story About A Tree, A Shrub, Or Flower. It Gives You Another Reason To Smile.

1 comment:

  1. Brenda used to laugh at me because no flower lived under my care. One time I took her a mum I got at church and she looked at it and then crooned to it. "Oh, you poor little thing. What has she done to you" Later when I went back to her house she showed me the mum.It was so pretty. I said what did you do that I didn't do.She said "you probably just watered it now and then but I talked to it and petted it every time I went by and I even sang to it and I played my records to it." Well, last year when I had my mum from the Woodards I stopped at Mandys and gave her "Brendas mum" so I wouldn't be responsible for its demise.

    ReplyDelete