Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Jerk


Remember The Movie The Jerk? It Came To My Mind This Afternoon When My Son Bobby And I Were Working On My Truck. He Saw A Very Nice Dress Shirt In The Garage And Asked Me If He Could Have It. I Thought For A Moment And Informed Him I Have About 5-6 More Just Like It. I Bellowed Out A Small Laugh After I Told Him This. He Asked Me What Was So Funny. To Be Honest About It, It Brought Back Some Old Memories. I Told Him I Had To Confess. I Told Him The Shirts Came From His Little League Coach Who Was A Well Known Attorney In Danville.
As A Father Like My Own Father Wanted Only The Best For His Son. Our House Was 1 1/2 Blocks Away From The Boundary Of A Well Respected Little League Park. They Produced Well Disciplined Ball Players. Alot Of My School Friends Played At That Park And Was Located Next To The Junior High School I Would Eventually Attend In My Last Year Of Little League.
Enough About Me. When I Signed My Son Up For Baseball I Remembered We Were Just A Short Distance From The Boundaries. I Had Some Friends Who Lived Just On The Other Side Of The Boundary. They Are African American, But What Does That Matter?
For Those Readers That Cannot Follow The Story Line The Movie, "The Jerk" Starred Steve Martin Being White Was Adopted By A Black Family. It Was A Corny Kind Of Movie Yet Left A Small Impression On Me. He Was Told By His Parents That His Color Would Not Change. He Left Home, Joined The Circus And Eventually Became Wealthy From An Invention. Ok, Enough About The Movie. There Were Times When I Was Busy And Could Not Attend All Of His Baseball Practices. His Coach Would Drive Him Home If I Couldn't. Apparently My Friends Were Sitting On Their Porch One Evening His Coached Dropped Him Off. Bobby Jumped Out Of The Car And Went Up To The Porch And Talked With My Friends Until His Coach Drove Off.
After The Season Had Ended Bobby's Coach Approached Me. He Told Me He Was Confused About Bobby's Residence. I Then Admitted To Him I Had Played On That Same Ball Diamond Back In 1967. I Wanted The Same For My Son And To Make That Happen I Had To Use A Different Address. I Think I Made That Coach's Day Because He Laughed So Hard After My Admission Of Guilt. Bobby Had A Very Good Baseball Year As I Did When I Was His Age. I Know He Supported What I Did. Would I Do It Again? You Bet!

PS. I Would Never Recommend That Movie To Anyone Again. To Me It Was Very Funny But Corny. The Movie Was Just Recently Released And My Parents Had A Brand New VCR. I Was Employed Where Movies Were Rented So I Often Took Movies To Them So They Could Watch. I Got A Phone Call From My Father Scolding Me For Recommending This Movie To Them. I Replied I Would Not Bring Them Any More Movies From Then On. I Kept My Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment