Friday, September 20, 2013

I Recently Received A Rare Family Item. My Parents Are Currently Downsizing Their Home Preparing For A Move To An Apartment. Since They Have Entered Their "Golden" Years They Decided It To Be The Ideal Time To Find Some Place That Doesn't Require Maintenance. In The Meantime The Decision Of What Goes And What Stays Has Been A Difficult One.
I Decided Early On Not To Be A Buzzard And Swoop Down To Get What Was Being Given. I Have Tried To Be Humble In Anything I Have Requested. A Table Fan With A Mirrored Top Always Stood Out While I Was Growing Up. This Fan Has Been In The Family Since My Parents Became United.
My Father Also Gave Me A Candy Dish That Once Belonged To My Grandmother. I Have No Idea How Long She Had It But I Am Guessing Maybe In The 1940's.
In Addition I Did Request The Old Reel To Reel Tape Recorder That Contained Voices Of Years Past. The Grandfather I Had Never Met. His Clear Audio Is Appreciated By Sitting Here Listening To His Sermons. He Was A Country Preacher Of The Galloway Chapel In Western Indiana. Putting A Voice In Your Ear After All These Years To A Picture You Had Seen Is Priceless.
Listening To The Gaither Trio Before They Became Famous Was An Additional Joy. I Can Remember Sending Audio Tapes To My Uncle Fred And His Family While Growing Up. We Would Exchange Them Throughout The Years. Weddings & Family Gatherings Of People Who Have Passed On Years Ago Are Captured On These Tapes. I Wanted To Preserve My Family History More Than I Wanted Materialistic Items That Have No Special Meaning. They Will Be Passed On To The Next Generation Of Miller's With A Bit Of History Of What They Have Received. I Will Make Sure Who Ever Get's Them Will Appreciate The History Behind Them.







No comments:

Post a Comment