Friday, May 1, 2009

May Day!


No, Don't Get Excited, There Is No Emergency! It's The First Day Of May!
This Day Has Never Been Celebrated With As Much Enthusiasm In The United States As In Great Britain. The Tradition Of Celebrating May Day By Dancing And Singing Around A Maypole, Tied With Colorful Streamers Or Ribbons, Survived As A Part Of The English Tradition. The Kids Celebrating The Day By Moving Back And Forth Around The Pole With The Streamers, Choosing Of A May Queen, And Hanging Of May Baskets On The Doorknobs Of Folks, All The Leftovers Of The Old European Traditions.
This Brings Back Memories For Me When I Was A Child Growing Up On Franklin Street. I Had Prepared With Loving Care Baskets Made From Construction Paper. Inside These Baskets Were Carefully Assorted Flowers Of May From A Small Area In Our Yard. There Were Two Elderly Women Near Our Home That I Had Planned As Recipients Of These May Flower Baskets. Shortly After I Returned Home One Of These Elderly Women Called My Mother To Tell Her I Was Picking Her Flowers. After My Mother Explained To Her What I Had Done For Her She Felt Awful For The Accusations. I Think It Was Then When We Became Friends For Life. God Bless Goldie Jacobs And Happy May Day Everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment